5 times Trump has commented on Mueller and the Russia probe
President Donald Trump for the most part has avoided commenting on special counsel Robert Mueller and his investigation into allegations of ties between Trump's 2016 campaign and Russia,
But amid reports that Trump ordered Mueller to be fired last June but ultimately decided against it, here are five t imes the president has spoken out about Mueller and the Russia probe.
Story Continued Below
1. Trump said Wednesday he was âlooking forwardâ to speaking to federal prosecutors as part of Muellerâs investigation. He said his lawyers were discussing a time frame for a meeting in âabout two or three weeks.â Trump also said he would be happy to be interviewed under oath.
2. Trump on Dec. 17 told reporters that he does not intend to fire Mueller. Trump allies had complained that month about how Mueller's team obtained emails from the presidential transition. Trump said that he didn't think Mueller would find anything useful in the emails.
3. Last July, Trump laid out a red line for Mueller during an interview with The New York Times. The president said that if Mueller began looking into his and his family's finances, that would cross a line. When asked whether Trump would fire Mueller "if he went out side of certain parameters of what his charge is," the president replied: "I canât, I canât answer that question because I donât think itâs going to happen."
4. The president last June tweeted about Mueller's probe, calling it a "witch hunt," following reports that the special counsel was investigating the president for obstruction of justice. Trump wrote online that the "phony collusion with the Russians story" was made up so "now they go for obstruction of justice on the phony story."
5. Trump also commented on charges Mueller brought in October against former campaign chief Paul Manafort and associate Rick Gates. The president wrote online that Manafort's charges were from "years ago, before Paul Manafort was part of the Trump campaign." He followed that tweet with "Also, there is NO COLLUSION!"Source: Google News Russia | Netizen 24 Russia